Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Reality Check

I have been feeling like I am unstoppable. I started a diet and exercise plan that I have followed through with 100%. I am almost half way to my weight loss goal and it's only been about 2 weeks! I have been back in school studying accounting for almost a year now and have made all A's (mostly 4.0) in all of my classes. I get to spend my days with my smart, handsome, funny little boy without the added stress of watching another child. I felt amazing. I even started this blog that I have been wanting to do for months.

Last night I checked my online course to find out my score for the first test. It said 21/35 or 61.76%. I got out a calculator and checked 21/35 just to make sure I was reading it correctly. This was the worst grade I have ever received in a college course. All of the pride and positivity I had been feeling all came crashing down. Immediately I thought, "What if I'm not smart enough to be an accountant?" Not only did I feel like a stupid failure, but I felt like I was letting my family down and wasting our hard earned money trying to go to school for something that I am not smart enough to do.

Last night all I wanted to do was open the pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream that I bought for Justin and eat it all. Then I realized something. I'm not perfect and that's okay. I wasn't going to let this grade derail all my efforts. Instead of burying my sorrows in ice cream, I ate some cantaloupe and a little light ricotta cheese with cinnamon and stevia. I sat down and worked on homework. The only way that I would truly be a failure is if I give up.

Today I still feel upset about getting such a low grade, but I am going to use that feeling as a motivator to study harder and do better because I know I can.

3 comments:

  1. You are going to be a killer accountant, Amy! I'm really happy for you. Don't give up. It's so easy to get disappointed in this world, but life's too short. You know? Let this just be a sign to keeping plugging away. Things can only get better! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement :) I felt a lot better today after I worked out, put on a cute outfit and bought a bunch of fun stuff from Goodwill and Michael's Arts and Crafts. My positive attitude is back!

      Delete
  2. Just found out that my professor decided to let us drop our lowest exam grade since a lot of people did poorly on this exam!

    ReplyDelete