Monday, May 21, 2012

Doctor's Office Entertainment: Busy Boxes


Zel had his 18 month check up last week. He always gets rambunctious at the doctor's office even with the toys they have there that he has never played with before. I decided to pack two small books, a matchbox car, some snacks, water, and two "busy boxes." For the boxes, I used the plastic containers from herbs that I bought from the grocery store. I put a pipe cleaner with cut up pieces of a two straws in the first box. This is great fine motor practice for toddlers that can't quite use regular string and beads yet. In the other box, I placed a few folded up pieces of construction paper and crayons. They worked wonderfully!
Zel was not too pleased when the nurse came in and started measuring him. Once she was finished he started acting very whiny and clingy. That's when I brought out the busy boxes. For the rest of the visit (aside from shots at the end) he was very happy. After we got home, I made two more busy boxes. For one I cut up shapes out of felt and cut a little X in the middle of each one. I put them with a pipe cleaner folded in half for some more fine motor practice. I also made another box with a small notebook and various sizes of stickers.



There are many great ideas for busy boxes or busy bags. Here are a few that I've come across that I think would work really well for toddlers:




I've been keeping at least one busy box/bag in the diaper bag so that Zel has entertainment no matter where we go!



10 comments:

  1. Lovely busy bag ideas. I especially like the monster puppet colour matching :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Shantell made those for her daughter. She doesn't have a blog but posts her projects on pinterest. She was actually part of my inspiration to start the blog :)

      Delete
  2. I love how you used herb containers. I'm always trying to look at items like that with a different eye, to see what other ways I may be able to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hoard reusable materials like newspaper, yogurt containers, applesauce cups, cereal boxes, etc. I have an entire storage bin full of that kind of stuff. That way I don't really have to buy materials and I always have something on hand in a pinch. And it's good for the planet!

      Delete
  3. I was hoping to read a great post like this on how to make busy books. What graet ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ideas seem so simple but fun. I love the idea of taking a busy box to the doctor's office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the best ideas are the simple ones. These worked great for us at the doctor's office, I always keep at least one in the diaper bag just in case.

      Delete
  5. Such a great idea to have something fun for the doctor's office bc often the wait is so long. Plus, the toys and books they offer make me a little nervous with all those germs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That always made me feel a little grossed out too.

      Delete